The Q&A Archives: Transplanted Rose`

Question: Hello again,

I sent you an email last night about my transplanted rose, and you answered immediately. Thank you for that.

In you message you mentioned that transplanting during this month would be too hot. However, I forgot to mention that I live along the Pacific Coastline in Humboldt County where our weather never gets hot. The day the rose was transplanted was early morning, cool, and actually rained on us. It was and has been cool in the mornings, and some sun in the afternoon, but never hot.

So with this information would the same reaction of the rose, being in a wilted state with brown leaves still fit?

I agree that cutting it back would just add to its already state of shock, and I won't do that. I will continue to water it twice a week, and let it alone.

Our weather here is so easy to grow plants that when it looked like it wanted to die, I thought of your, and your help. And as usual you are very helpful.

Thank you again.

Alix

Answer: Thanks for the additional information. I am still convinced your rose is suffering from transplant shock. When roses are actively growing most of their energy goes into developing new leaves, stems and flowers. If you moved it to a sunnier spot, or one with drainage that differs from its original spot - or if you severed too many of the roots when you moved it, all of these things will add to the shock of being unearthed. At this point I would just give it some time to adjust to its new spot. I garden in the Pacific Northwest where it never gets really hot, so I know what your gardening zone is like. The only difference is that we get tons of rain so I don't have to water my roses twice a week, but I do water when the rain fails to appear. We have lots of problems with black spot, though, so I guess it's a trade off. I think your rose bush will recover in time. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Dianthus 'Nyewood Cream'"