The Q&A Archives: Dirt around grass blades

Question: In my backyard, I see many grass blades with dirt on them for the first 1/8 of an inch. This is an area that does not get a lot of sun. When I first planted a new lawn last year, I got a nice full lawn. Now it has thinned out a lot. Any suggestions?What is causing the dirt to climb up the grass blade?

Answer: It is difficult to get grass to grow in the shade. It may look good for a year or two, but it will struggle and thin out. If you want to grow grass in a shady area you'll need to resolve yourself to reseeding every spring to help keep it thick. To further help the cause, water deeply only once a week and try to mow high so you leave lots of blade height. The longer blades will help manufacture carbohydrates for the roots which should strengthen the roots. I'm not sure why you are seeing soil creeping up on the grass blades. I think it's probably more evident because the turf is thin. I'd reseed next spring to help thicken up the lawn.