The Q&A Archives: Indoor Plants

Question: Why some of my indoor plants get dry edges in their leaves. I watering them once a week.

Answer: There are several common causes for brown leaf tips. Dry indoor air, a gradual build up of minerals or salts from fertilizer or water, or overwatering. You can leach salts out of the soil by periodically by watering the plant to the point of runoff and repeating several times. Chlorinated and treated water, or water run through a water softener, can also cause browning tips. Try using bottled water for your houseplants. If the air is too dry you can increase humidity by setting your plants on a shallow tray filled with gravel in which you keep a little water. As the water evaporates it will increase humidity around your plants. Hope this information helps you troubleshoot.