The Q&A Archives: flowers did not grow

Question: I have 2 flower beds, one on each side of a door. For years I have planted annuals with no problem. This year I planted begonias and marigolds on each side. the one side did beautifully while the flowers in the other bed never grew and now look smaller than when I planted them. What can be wrong?

Answer: If the amount of sunshine, water and fertilizer was equal for each bed, I'd suspect your soil needs some amending. After removing the annuals spread 3-4 inches of organic matter over the bed and dig it in to a depth of about 8". The compost or other organic matter will help loosen the soil, encourage good drainage, and will release nutrients and the organic matter decomposes. I think your next batch of annuals will thrive in this newly amended soil. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"