The Q&A Archives: transplanting

Question: I need to do some transplanting of perenials that have outgrown their spot in the garden---these include 2 rose of sharons,an aster,a huge 4 o'clock,and a wiegela---they all require sun I believe--but I am not sure when is the correct time to do so---also a rose or 2----please and thank you

Answer: You can dig and divide now in the fall, or wait until next spring. With the roses, I would wait until they are dormant which will be after the first heavy frost. Moving when they are dormant will reduce stress. Move anytime after a frost right up until the spring when you see leaf buds beginning to swell on the canes. At that time prune them back, dig them up, and transplant them to their new spots in the garden. All the plants you mention grow best in full sunshine and all, except the roses, can be dug and divided this month. Good luck with your garden!