The Q&A Archives: Knockout Roses & Hisbicus

Question: How do I care for my knockout roses and make sure they live through the winter? Can I put my hisbicus in my sun room for the winter. They are on my porch during the summer

Answer: Knockout roses are pretty hardy shrubs so you won't need to do much to help them through the winter. You can mulch over the soil to help keep the roots from winter damage but just leave the tops alone. In the spring you can prune everything down to about 2' above ground level to encourage healthy new growth. If your hibiscus is a tropical kind (with glossy green leaves) it needs to be protected from freezing temperatures. If your sunroom can provide temperatures above freezing, that would be a good place for it to overwinter. Good luck with your garden!