The Q&A Archives: Perennials

Question: I have bought tulip and daffodil bulbs. I have planted them in the ground I have put some straw over where I covered them and I read somwehre that you water them as you would your normal flowers. Is this all correct what I am doing?

Answer: Sounds like you're doing everything right. It won't hurt the bulbs if you water them. If they are planted in a bed where you are growing other plants, just water as normal. They will just sit there waiting for the winter chill and the spring warmth. At that time they will sprout and bloom for you. If the bulbs are planted in an area that you do not normally water, you don't have to make special efforts to water them. They will be just fine without water. Hope this clarifies things for you.