The Q&A Archives: care of a desert rose

Question: I have a desert rose in a pot and it is spliting at the base and breaking up. can I cut all the brances off and stick them in the soil to start new?

Answer: Adenium cuttings can be rooted. Cuttings should be dipped in rooting hormone and placed in a well-drained rooting medium (such as Perlite) and kept watered. Results are better in an enclosed area of high humidity. You can simply drape some plastic wrap over the pot of cuttings. You can prune about a third of the length of each stem off. If you prune too far back, or if you damage the main stem by cutting it back, the roots will respond by sending out multiple new stems. I would just cut the remaining branches back by one third and root them. The parent plant may respond by sending up healthy new stems. If so, you can prune away the old, split base and allow the new stems to grow. This way you'll still have the original plant and some newly rooted cuttings from the branches. Hope this information is helpful.