The Q&A Archives: pee gee hydrangea? not sure

Question: bought a shrub that was with some viburnum and hydrangea shrubs. Grabbed what I thought was peegee's but no flowers on them. No labels on container and now I'm not so sure. called the lawn and garden center and they said the number on the label is a generic number from the grower. Shouldn't a pee gee be in bloom right now?

Answer: Pee Gee hydrangeas should be in bloom all summer so yes, they should be in bloom now. However, young plants may not bloom their first summer in the ground, and transplanting into the garden can set them back a bit, as well. Instead of forming flowers they spend their time establishing their roots. Hydrangea leaves are quite distinctive so if you think you have a hydrangea, you probably do. Which one you have will be difficult to determine until it flowers. Wish I could offer more insight!