The Q&A Archives: landscaping

Question: I'm planning to get rid of grass in my front yard and replace it with a dessert theme landscape {water saving, easier maintenance}.
How do I cover dirt before covering the area with rocks in order to prevent weeds from growing
What kind of low water plants do I use ?
Thank you very much,

Answer: I'd use a weed barrier landscape fabric over the entire area, and anchor it down with pegs. Then you can cut slits or X's where you want to plant. You can disguise the weed barrier with mulch after you have finished planting. You might even consider installing a drip system before mulching over the weed barrier. There are literally hundreds of drought tolerant plants suitable for your garden. Here's a website sponsored by the water company with descriptions and photos of each of the plants:

Best wishes with your project!