The Q&A Archives: Starting Orange

Question: I want to start an orange or tangerine tree from seed. What is the best way to go about this from start to finish? Bernie Wojcik Pensacola FL

Answer: Oranges and tangerines are usually propagated from budding or grafting, and sometimes from cuttings. I was not able to find specific information about starting these from seed, but you can always try! Start by placing the seed in a soilless seed-starting mix, moisten well, and place in a plastic bag to retain humidity. Then wait! Seeds from hybrids are sometimes sterile, and if they do grow usually do not reproduce "true to type"; that is, they do not mirror either of their parents but may harken back to an ancester--possibly one that is bitter and undesirable! If you truly want a quality orange or tangerine tree, you'd be better off purchasing a plant.