The Q&A Archives: Growing Cannas

Question: I removed a bush from my front side yard; full sun and area available for planting is circle 6-8 ft in diameter. How
easily are cannas grown in my area and what are the problem areas to be expected?

Answer: Cannas are native to the tropics and subtropics and grow best in areas with warm summers. You can plant cannas in the spring, in rich, loose soil, and then dig them in the fall to store during the winter months. Cannas will grow in full sunshine with ample moisture in the spring and summer. Set the rootstocks five inches deep and ten inches apart. Remove the faded flowers and cut the stalks down to the ground when all of the flowers have finished blooming. The leaves will lend a tropical look to your flower bed.