The Q&A Archives: Helping with Drainage using a Plant / Tree

Question: I have a part of my lot that just does not drain well. We have placed rock to help (and it has) but I was thinking about planting a tree or a shrub that really loves water for my region. I live in zip code 77845. Can you make a recommendation. It can't be something that will be enormous because it is close to my fence (within a foot) and about 6 feet from my house itself.

Answer: The following shrubs and trees like soggy soils:
Abies balsamea (Balsam Fir), Populus tremuloides (Quaking Aspen), Acer rubrum (Red Maple), Salix (Willow), Liquidambar (Sweet Gum), or Nyssa sylvatica (Black Gum).

Andromeda (Bog Rosemary), Cornus stolonifera (Shrub Dogwood), Chaenomoles (Flowering Quince), Potentilla fructicosa (Potentilla), Chionanthus (Fringe Tree), Sambucus canadensis (American Elderberry), Clethra (Summersweet), or Viburnum opulus (Snowball Bush).