The Q&A Archives: Crepe Mrytles

Question: I have about 8 crepe mrytles, some small some a little bigger,,my problem is i'm noticing on the leaves MOLD it looks like.....What should I use to correct this, thanks alot

Answer: Unfortunately, your crepe myrtle is probably suffring from mildew, a fungal infection. Some varieties are more susceptible to it than others. You may want to prune to remove the infected leaves, and to open the canopy up to better air circulation. You must also rake up and remove any fallen foliage as that will spread the disease. Here is a good home remedy: Make a baking soda solution and spray it onto the affected plants. To make this solution mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda and 2 1/2 tablespoons of ultra-fine horticultural oil with a gallon of water. The oil is slightly fungicidal and acts to help the baking soda coat the leaf and hang on longer. Apply as a spray as soon as the mildew appears and every 10-14 days thereafter. Be sure to coat all surfaces!