The Q&A Archives: Hardy Roses for MT

Question: I have the 1997 catalog....want to plant some "hardy" rose plant, such as bushes, will your Miss All-American Dream, (p.2)Tropical Breeze, Scandia and Cajun Spice handle the somewhat rough winters in Missoula, MT? We will get to -30F often during thewinter. I have a Rosa Rugosa that I planted last summer...Seems to have withstood the winter, but winter isn't over. I would like to order the roses you show, but want to make sure they are hardy, and that they don't need the tender care of most roses. Thank you. Keith Hart Missoula, MT (where your roses may run through it!!!)

Answer: You can try any of the mentioned roses; however, you will need to provide some winter protection. After the first frost, bring in some garden soil and mound up over the crown of the plant to a height of about 8 inches. When you do your spring pruning, be on the lookout and remove any winter-damaged canes. Rosa rugosa is a particularly hardy type of rose; you might want to try Burpee's Bonica shrub rose for similar hardiness.