The Q&A Archives: shrub shooting up sprouts

Question: Don't know what this shrub is, but it has been shooting up long new shoots should i leave it alone or cut them off? if so how far back?

Answer: I can't really suggest anything until I know what the shrub is! Could be suckering growth (long, upright watersprouts) or it could be that your shrub has finally established a good root system and is vigorously growing. If the upright shoots have different looking leaves, or very few leaves, I'd prune them off at ground level. If they simply look like vigorous branches with leaves that are the same size and shape as the rest of the shrub, you can simply cut them down just below the height of the rest of the shrub and they will branch out and help fill in the shrub.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"