The Q&A Archives: Buganvilia

Question: Hi, I am new to Gardening and am just moving into a new apartment in Los Angeles, CA. I will have a roof patio where I hope to grow many things. Is it possible to pot Bougainvillea and get it to climb one of the walls in the patio (the wall has iron bars now I can replace with wood grating or whatever would help it climb best).Thanks for your advise. Also if Bougainvillea can

Answer: Bougainvillea is a vining plant and will grow upwards all on its own, although you can tie it to an upright trellis, arbor, or even iron bars. It will also stand upright on its own as it ages and develops woody stems. Most will adapt to growing in containers so I think you've made a good choice with a bougainvillea. It needs lots of sunshine and you should prune it back after it has finished flowering and it will grow lots of new stems and develop lots of flowers. Enjoy!