The Q&A Archives: Washington navel orange

Question: Gentlemen: I have a 4 yr.old Wash.navel orange,6'T x 4'W,in-ground, watered every other day,fertilized
spring,summer,fall,w/hand-full of 12-8-4food, but only produces 1-2 oranges per season. Pls advise how I can improve to abundant production.Thanks for an early reply.

Answer: Your navel orange tree should be producing about 10 pounds of fruit at age 4-5 so I'm not sure what the problem might be. Your tree needs lots of sunshine, adequate water and fertilizer and you should get a sense of how many fruits you'll get by watching the flowers. Only about 30 percent of the flowers will actually develop fruit but it should be more than 2-3 oranges. Perhaps your tree still needs more time to establish and mature. It is possible that although it is growing well it just isn't physically mature enough to develop more fruits. I'm sure it will, as it gets older. There's really not much else you can do for your tree. Wish I had a solution for you!