The Q&A Archives: Bluebird Lover

Question: I would really like to have bluebirds on my property. I know they are indigenous to the area because I see them at the local park. No matter what house I buy, they don't seem at all interested. Is there something I'm missing?

Answer: Bluebirds are EXTREMELY finicky about their housing. It has to be exactly the way they like it, or, as you have learned they just won't place a bid! The house needs to be 6 inches wide, 6 inches deep, and between 9-12 inches in height. The entry hole ABSOLUTELY must be 1.5" wide, no bigger or smaller. The house should be mounted on a fence or pole that is 3-5' above the ground, preferably in an open spot, the edge of your property or a field is the best. I have read in various references that if you paint the house bright blue (cerulean, lapis, etc.) you will have even more takers. Hope this helps!