The Q&A Archives: Seeds not germinating

Question: I bought 5 packages of perrenial seeds and planted them as the package stated. I only had one plant sprout! Why?

Answer: All kinds of things can happen twixt packet and baby plant. The seed may be old or otherwise incapable of germinating. The temperature of the seedling mix may have been too cold or too wet. The seedling mix may not have been watered enough. The seeds may have required light to germinate and were covered or required dark and were left uncovered.The species of perennials required conditions not clearly stated on what may have been a generic label. And many more reasons. To have nearly 0% germination in5 packets of seed is extreme. If you've grown perennial seeds before and have had good luck and these seeds are not strange species, you wouldn't be far off to question the quality of the seed.