The Q&A Archives: Planting Wildflowers

Question: I have a slope in my back yard that gets sun most of the day. I am planning to plant wildflowers but I am not sure when to plant the seeds. I live in central PA. Should I plant the seeds in the fall, or in the spring? Do you have a seed mix that you would recommend?

Answer: Burpee offers several wildflower seed mixes which might be appropriate. You may order a catalog at the website or call 1-800-888-1447 Mon.- Fri. 9 am - 8 pm ET, Sat. & Sun. 9 am - 5 pm ET for a catalog or an order.

To some extent your selection will depend on your soil type and on whether you prefer annual or perennial plants. Establishing a wildflower garden is usually most successfully done by planting out individual plants so that the area can be weeded and cared for until the wildflowers are established and can manage on their own. Some plants well suited to your area would include the rudbeckias and coneflowers (echinacea), as well as goldenrod, asters, achillea and coreopsis. Perennials are customarily started in either spring or midsummer and grown on in pots or a nursery bed until they are large enought to set out. Annuals however, need to be started in the spring so that they have enough time to reach blooming size and set seed before they are killed by frost.

Good luck with your wildflowers!