The Q&A Archives: Potting Soil

Question: I have a rather large leaved plant in my house. I wanted to transplant it into a larger pot but I don't know what the best mixture of potting soil is.

Answer: Different plants have slightly different needs, but a safe bet would be a good grade all-purpose commercial potting soil. It's generally a mixture of sand, compost or peat, and perlite. In combination they supply just the right proportions of organic matter and air space to promote a healthy environment for the roots of your plant. You can make your own custom mix by combining 1-2 parts of commercial potting soil, one part perlite and 1 part compost or leaf mold. Of primary importance is a mix that's well-draining, yet moisture retentive, and one that contains some nutrients that will be released slowly so the growing roots have a ready source of food.