The Q&A Archives: Pumpkin Plants Not Producing Fruit

Question: We have planted two types of Burpee pumpkin seeds. The plants are healthy and seem to be free of bugs, but they will not produce any female blossoms. We have fed them with 5-10-5 plant food at planting time. We have watered them whenever the ground seems a little dry. The bees are visiting the male blossoms all of the time. What is it that we are missing? My children were really looking forward to growing their own pumpkins.Help!

Answer: It sounds like you are doing everything right; here's what I suspect the problem is. Pumpkins produce a whole bunch of male flowers before they produce even one female flower. This helps ensure a good ratio for pollination. Within a week or so I expect you (and your children) will be seeing little bitty pumpkins. Enjoy those punkins!