The Q&A Archives: Urine

Question: This question is kind of off-the-wall and you may choose not to publish it but here it goes. From the gardeners grapevine I have heard that urine contains up to 80% nitrogen. Could it be added to a compost pile that has a high carbonaceous content asa high nitrogen source? Also, why do some garden tippers recomend overspraying plants with a watered down non-diet cola solution? Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Todd Ebert Akron, OH

Answer: I wouldn't apply human urine to a compost pile only because it is so volatile that it wouldn't have a chance to really make a difference in speeding up decomposition. Chicken manure, on the other hand, is a great source of nitrogen (urea) for a compost pile and doesn't evaporate as quickly. I don't know why people add coke to their gardens. Maybe because "coke adds life"! There's nothing that can help plants in coke and actually it may harm some sensitive leaves.