The Q&A Archives: Pinching Back Overwintered Petunias

Question: I brought petunias inside late September, and here it is, March, and they are still blooming--although a bit "leggy". Would pinching back improve their appearance? Do you think they will continue to survive indoors until I can safely put them back on my porch?

Answer: Wow! You've wintered over petunias! Yes, pinch shoots back to just before the first healthy pair of leaves on the stem. Growth should occur at the point where the leaf stem (petiole) joins the main stem. Try this on one stem before you go crazy and pinch the whole thing back just to see what happens...and be patient. It takes a while for the plant to adjust to your pinching! If you've made it this far, they should do fine outside this summer.