The Q&A Archives: Lime Colored Lawn

Question: About four weeks ago I fertilized my new lawn to wonderful results. I was told I also needed to lime it, so I did. Now my yard has a light-yellow, almost lime-green, shade to it. What happened to my dark, green yard?

Answer: It sounds like you raised the pH of the soil enough to make certain nutrients (probably iron) less available to the turf. Iron is the central atom in the chlorophyll molecule, just like it's the center of our blood hemoglobin molecule, so I guess you could say your grass is anemic! Who told you to lime it? A soil test, or friendly neighbor? Either way, it sounds like you should have the soil tested again, and correct the pH imbalance based on the results. Your agricultural extension office (ph# 617/891-0650) can help you with a soil test. Best of luck!