The Q&A Archives: Rhododendron Leaves Curling and Turning Yellow and Orange

Question: My rhododendron is a couple of years old. This year, in August, the leaves have started to curl and change color - yellow and orange. What can be happening to it all of a sudden?

Answer: In general, a young shrub needs regular watering until it has a well-developed root system that can effectively search for moisture. Your little rhodie may simply need extra moisture during this dry stretch we've had. Also, spider mites love dry weather. Check the undersides of the leaves for the tiny creatures, and look for tell-tale webs. Water the plant well, put on a fresh layer of moisture-retaining mulch (bark chips are great), and spray top and bottom surfaces of leaves with an insecticidal soap. I hope this helps!