The Q&A Archives: Using a Cold Frame in MA

Question: I have just constructed a cold frame and have no idea of how to use it. Can I plant seeds now in this climate and will they tend to germinate more readily in the cold frame than indoors? Bill Marcus Waltham, MA

Answer: Seed away. In your area, you can start seedling as cold tolerant plants such as spinach, lettuce and peas in the cold frame as soon as the ground can be worked. This time of year you can leave it shut all day, but by April, you'll need to crack it open especially on sunny days so it doesn't overheat. You also can put out tomato and pepper transplants early by hardening them off in the cold frame first. Enjoy the jump on your season and the first lettuce and spinach in your neighborhood!