The Q&A Archives: Gloriosa Daisy and Grey Wilted Leaves

Question: This year my Gloriosa Daisy plants developed a type of grey wilted look. The flowers turned brown on the edges,and many of the plants died. In previous years the flowers lasted through the fall and even bloomed after a moderate frost. What might have caused this ? Will whatever killed the plants overwinter? Must I destroy all the affected plants to prevent this from happening next year?

Answer: Gloriosa daisies are usually quite trouble free and very reliable. Based on your description I'm not sure exactly what has attacked your plants, but it sounds like either a bacterial or fungal problem, possibly mildew. Generally it is always wise to remove and destroy any infected plants or parts of plants as they occur to try to slow the spread of disease. At the end of the season, be especially careful to practice good sanitation by removing and destroying all of the frost-killed plant material. This shopuld reduce the chances of infection next year. Most diseases are spread during wet weather or periods of high humidity and high temperatures, so it may just be that conditions favored it this year. I'm sorry about your plants.