The Q&A Archives: Seed Starting Help

Question: I want to start my seeds indoors this winter. Mine are always tall and wirey. What king of lighting do I need to get. I think I can save money and have alot more flowers by growing from seed.

Answer: A very bright window is a good start, but you usually need a bank of flourescent lights for best results. Two fixtures that are 4 feet long and hold two flourescent bulbs each works great. Select one "grow light" and one "cool white" bulb for each fixture. Place the fixtures a few inches above the plants for best results. It is a good idea to hang the fixtures in a way that allows you to raise them as the plants grow.

Avoid over-fertilizing and over-watering your seedlings. This will also help reduce the spindly growth problems you described. A good web site for more information is:

Thanks for the quesiton and good luck with your seeds!