The Q&A Archives: pH

Question: I am looking for either an on-line database source or an extensive good, old-fashioned list of plant pH requirements (indoor and outdoor plants).Very few hort books I've seen consistently specify pH ranges with cultural info, usually burying the few they do inside a paragraph of text. Even fewer provide any kind a list broken out by soil pH. Most of the self-help gardening web sites don't. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Answer: The book 'All About Fertilizers, Soils & Water' by Ortho (ISBN# 0-917102-80-0) has some comprehensive information about pH requirements for plant families. In looking at the chart you'll discover that most plants grow well in a pH range of 6-7, which is neutral. Only a few plants require a very acidic soil (blueberries and rhododendrons) or a very alkaline soil (cacti), but some plants will benefit from growing in soils slightly higher or lower than neutral. Hope this book contains the information you're looking for.