The Q&A Archives: Mexican Feather

Question: I would like to find seeds to raise an unusual plant that my mother raised from seeds every year. It is called
Mexican Feather plant. It is not a grass, it is a nice, rather tall bushy plant. The leaves turn these brilliant colors... kind of streaked... gold, red, orange and green. All on one plant! It is a good addition to a garden, and is not fussy...and doesn't mind the heat. She was raising them in sandy amended soil. I'm sure it would grow anywhere.

Answer: I suspect the plant might be amaranth, or a member of the amaranthus family. These plants are coarse, sometimes weedy, and the 'Joseph's Coat'' hybrid grows to 5 feet high with leaves 1-6 inches long, and 1/2 - 3 inches wide in blotched shades of red and green. The foliage at the top of the plant can be yellow to scarlet. Sounds like an interesting plant! Before ordering seeds, check a plant encyclopedia and compare the picture to what you remember your mom growing.