The Q&A Archives: Saving Seeds

Question: I recently bought a heliotrope and I thought it was a perennial. Apparently its not. Can I save any of the seeds so I can grow another one next season?

Answer: Heliotrope is perennial only in the most mild winter regions. If yours is planted in a container, you can bring it indoors over the winter months and grow it as a houseplant. You can save seeds from the plant; store them until February and start them indoors to plantoutdoors in the spring. Plant the seeds 1/16 inch deep in moist seed starting mix, cover the pot or tray with plastic wrap to help hold in moisture, and place in a warm area (like on top of the refrigerator) until the seeds germinate. Then remove the plastic and place the seedlings under a source of bright light. Seeds from heliotrope will take 14-42 days to germinate at 65F - 75F degrees. They'll take another 4-6 weeks to grow to transplant size.