The Q&A Archives: Pruning Tomato Plants

Question: Every year I seed and grow the Burpee Supersteak tomato plants. I've always had good plants and great tomatoes. My problem every year is that the plants grow 7 to 8 ft. high and I do not over-fertilize them. Is there a need to cut the tops off of the plants when they reach a certain height?

Answer: If the plants are healthy they just grow big. (Indeterminate plants will grow indefintiely until frost stops them.) Some gardeners will however train their tomatoes into two stems which they then tie onto a central stake. When the vine reaches the top of the stake they pinch out the top to limit the height. This method also requires a certain amount of care in limiting suckers and side shoots.

Based on my experience at home, as long as you are getting great tomatoes I wouldn't worry about pruning them.

Enjoy your crop!