The Q&A Archives: So Many Zucchini's

Question: My wife and I are harvesting too many zuchinni's this year. This is the first year we have tried your seeds. I must say that I over-estimated the number of plants this year. My estimate was based on the less-than-spectacular results from last year's plants from "another" producer. How many plants do you recommend for two people? Can zucchini's be frozen for later consumption?

Answer: You can stop the production of squash by pinching out the tips of the vines. Zucchini is such a prolific plant that two or three plants will probably keep you in a season's worth of 5-6 inch squash. Share the remainder with neighbors - but beware - if they see you coming they may hide! Zucchini doesn't freeze or can well (it's 90% water), but you can grate it and freeze it for use in casseroles or zucchini bread.