The Q&A Archives: Planting Native Wildlife Habitat

Question: Earlier this month I acquired land in the Catskill Mountain region of New York state (zone 6). I am eager to Make My Statement on this already beautiful landscape. I will be focusing on native plants, grasses, herbs, and shrubs that will provide habitat for creatures other than ourselves. Would it be alright to plant perennial items this fall (September through early November) for growth and bloom in the appropriate seasons next year?

Answer: Early to mid-fall is an excellent season to plant most container-grown materials, whereas spring is the best time for bare-root plants. The roots of container-grown plants can continue to grow until the weather and soil turn truly cold, even if the tops are dormant. Be sure to mulch and water them well. During the winter, check your small and shallow-rooted plants for frost heaving. Enjoy creating this habitat!