The Q&A Archives: Seed Saving

Question: I have a perennial in my garden which seems to have mutated in some way to have two different flowers on the same plant. The new flower is quite unusual and I would like to save the seed somehow to try to produce more. Any suggestions?

Answer: You can save the seed by waiting until the flower petals fall and the seed head or pod turns from green to tan. Once the seeds are ripe, remove the seed head by cutting the stem from the plant. I use a plain white envelope to collect seeds; just shake the seeds out after breaking the covering or peeling it back. Leave the seeds to dry completely, then label, seal, and place in an airtight container for storage. Mason jars with screw-on lids are perfect for this. Store your seeds in a cool, dark location, like the back of a closet or cupboard. In the spring sow the seeds in the garden, cross your fingers, and wait for them to grow into fantastic new plants. Let us know about your sucess next summer!