The Q&A Archives: Morning Glories Don't Bloom

Question: I have planted morning glories last year and this year. The vines always look real healthy. They are facing the west to be out of the hot afternoon sun. They didn't form buds last year and it doesn't look like they are this year, either. I would like to know what is wrong.

Answer: In my experience, morning glories do best in all day sun, and even then don't begin to bloom heavily until fairly late in the season. Originally from the tropics, they like plenty of heat and sun. Rich soil can also reduce blooming -- they run to more foliage and fewer flowers if grown in a rich soil. The "morning" part of the name is most likely related to the fact that the flowers open at dawn and usually close up by noon or perhaps a bit later on a cloudy day!