The Q&A Archives: texas sage tree and root rot

Question: Hello,Will be planting Texas Sage trees in zone 9 Florida. There are times when it rains a lot. Do I need raised beds to prevent root rot, Texas sage needs well drained soil. Thanks Billie

Answer: You are correct, Texas sage needs good drainage. Soil that remains soggy for extended periods of time can cause root rot. I'd build a mound and plant the tree on top. The mound doesn't have to be very high, maybe two feet, and you can gradually taper it from the center to the edges. I made kidney shaped raised beds in my yard to facilitate good drainage and planted small shrubs and perennials on them. They are a focal point in the yard. You might do the same thing for your Texas sage. Good luck with your new tree!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Pacific Blue Ice"