The Q&A Archives: Deterring Moles

Question: I have been having trouble the past two years with what I have been told are voles. It has been explained to me that moles make the tunnels and eat grubs. Voles I am told are shrew-like animals that inhabit the moles tunnels and eat the roots to plants. I have lost Chinese parsley, Gaillardia and Houttuynia to this. I have tried sulfur bombs and castor bean oil but it's all very temporary. The moles dig here all winter and I'm afraid I won't have anything left in the spring. I have seen milky spore advertized at the local nursery. Will it work? Got any suggestions? Rosemary Baker Newport News, VA

Answer: Moles are mostly digging in your yard looking for grubs to eat. Get rid of the grubs and you get rid of the moles. Milky Spore powder is a bacteria that will kill grubs, but a better bet would be beneficial nemetodes. These microscopic worm-like critters parasitize only grubs and are easy to apply. Contact the following company for beneficial nematodes, Gardeners Supply Co. 128 Intervale Rd. Burlington, VT 05401 800-863-1700