The Q&A Archives: Separating Iris

Question: I separated my Iris and put them in a plant container of compost. Do I have to plant them now or can I wait untill next spring if I store the container in the cellar. Do they have to be watered?

Answer: In my experience it can be difficult to keep iris healthy when it is planted in a pot. It just seems to do better planted in the ground. If you have a place to plant it now, you could do that and then move it again in the spring if needed. If you have to hold it in a pot over the winter, keep it outdoors and water regularly until the plant dies back for the winter. Then keep it in a cool but dry spot. Keep a careful eye out for mold or rot and do not water it unless it shows signs of shriveling. Plant it as early as you can next spring. Good luck with your iris!