The Q&A Archives: Cayenne Pepper

Question: Can you please tell me what kinds of Hot Peppers are considered Cayenne Peppers. I heard that Tabasco is also a Cayenne Pepper? Is Cayenne Peppers also called Red peppers? I will appreciate it very much if you can help clear my confusion about Cayenne Peppers.

Answer: Cayenne is a hybrid hot pepper (Capsicum annuum) that turns from dark green to bright red when mature. It grows 5-6 inches long and about 1/2 inch in diameter. There's a specific pepper that's used in tabasco - specifically the 'Tabasco' hybrid. Not all red peppers are hot - some are sweet 'bell' type peppers. Here's a website that will give you the history of Cayenne, what substitutes can be used for cayenne, and the heat units cayenne peppers contain. Hope it answers all your questions!