The Q&A Archives: Planting Plum Seeds

Question: I would like to know if I take the seeds from plums I bought at store and planted them would they grow and if
so how long would they take to come up?

Answer: Try it and see! Plum seeds may be cleaned and planted in the fall and should come up the following spring. (They do need that winter chilling period in order to germinate.) However, it is unlikely that the resulting tree will produce plums of the same quality as the one you started with; it is also possible that the seeds will not be viable -- it all depends which type of tree it came from in the first place. Most orchard plum trees are propagated vegetatively rather than by seed, so if you really want a plum tree for fruit production you might look into purchasing one. Good luck with your experiment!