The Q&A Archives: Tips for Growing Raspberries in Zone 5 (IN)

Question: I would like to grow red raspberries for the first time and need some suggestions on the best varieties for a zone 5 garden. I have raised beds of amended topsoil on top of Indiana clay. I am looking for easy, low-maintenance plants. Also I would appreciate information on basic care and cultivation since I have no idea how to begin to grow raspberries. Also, can I grow wildflowers or other annuals in the same bed until the berry bushes fill in? Thanks very much. Beth Ebert Indianapolis, IN

Answer: Some nice red raspberry varieties for your area are 'Titan', 'Canby' and 'Latham'. They are available through, Indiana Berry Farm 5218 West 500 South Huntingburg, IN 47542 800-295-2226 Raspberries like a well drained, loamy soil, lots of organic matter and compost mixed in and kept weed free. So planting any other crops isn't a good idea. Most of the root system is in the top few inches of soil, so keep them well watered, fertilized in spring with compost and 10-10-10 fertilizer andthen mulched with hay or sawdust to keep wees down. The Indiana Berry Farm will have more cultural growing instructions for you.