The Q&A Archives: Miniature Flowers

Question: My sister is getting married next year, and we would like to give small terra cotta pots (2 inch) filled with flowers. My question are: What would grow well in such a small pot that would be flowering at the end of June? Would I do better to grow the flowers from seeds, or just buy the plant and transplant into the pots?

Answer: There are lots of annuals that will bloom in June. You'd probably be happier transplanting into the pots so that all of the plants will be about the same size and maturity. That doesn't mean you can't grow your own transplants from seeds - it just means that plants grow at different rates, and if you have lots to choose from, you'll be able to have some uniformity in the size and number of blooms in each pot. The plants most likely to bloom in June include Pansy, Godetia, Forget-Me-Not, Candytuft, Nemesia, Lobelia, and Sweet Alyssum.