The Q&A Archives: Agapanthus

Question: I've has an agapanthus bulb for 2 seasons. I start the bulb indoors around the April time frame. I gets off to a good start in the pot. I plant it outside facing the east. It doesn't seem to get any bigger (August) that it did when I first transplanted it outdoors. I don't fertilize it that much and I water it every other day. Any suggestions on how to get it going and flowering?

Answer: Agapanthus, or Lily-of-the-Nile is quite adaptable and will grow in full sun, or as little as five hours of sunshine a day. It prefers a loamy soil, but will also grow in heavy clay soils. Established Agapanthus will get by with very little water and will bloom inspite of drought. For best color, though, water during the growing season. It's possible your plant isn't getting its quota of sunlight. Try giving it a bit more sunshine, and hold off a bit on the watering to force it to bloom. Better luck next spring!