The Q&A Archives: Tips for Growing Bay, Basil, Marjoram

Question: I am going to try and grow a herb garden consisting of bay, basil, marjoram and sage. My first question is how would it be if I grew the herbs entirely indoors but with lots of light etc. (I live in an apartment and am restricted to no yard.) I am having a hard time finding bay seeds. Are they hard to find? Angela Zatek Negaunee MI

Answer: Indoor herb gardens are great. All you need is some flourescent tube lighting fixtures, well drained pots and a good pair of scissors to cut them with. Bay leaves we use in cooking come from a subtropical shrub, so wouldn't be appropriate for indoor growing. Keep your herb seedlings moist, and cut back often to promote bushy growth. Fertilize in spring, summer and fall with a complete fertilizer such as Miracle Gro at a diluted strength. Enjoy the herbs all year round in your kitchen!