The Q&A Archives: Controlling Leafspot on Hot Peppers

Question: I am growing habanero, jalapeno, and a few othre varieties of peppers. The habanero and jalapeno seem to have developed leafspot. I used commercial potting soil in the transplants. The temperature is relatively constant 70+/- 4F. I am concerned that this will spread not only to the rest of the plants in the same soil from that bag, but to other plants that other people have in the office. any help is appreciated! Thanks. Clay Daniels Renton, WA

Answer: It sounds like a little prevention maybe in order. Remove the leaves that are heavily spotted, cover the soil with plastic and be sure only to botton water the plants. If it continues to spread, place a fan near the leaves to keep them dry and spray with an all purpose fungicide such as sulfur to slow the spread. Next time try a different brand of potting soil and keep those pots clean with soap and water.