The Q&A Archives: Extreme Heat Keeps Garden From Flowering

Question: The heat in Houston this summer has kept my garden from flowering. My plants are still alive, but they have not bloomed since early Spring. Is there any chance they will bloom when the weather cools off or do I need to wait until next year to see flowers again? I have Black-Eyed Susans, Lantana, and Pentas.

Answer: My heart has gone out to everyone in Texas this summer, especially the gardeners! Now that the weather is cooling and you're getting some rain, you should see some blooms from those long-suffering flowers! If you fertilize, start with half applications and gradually work up to full-strength. Too much all at once will shock the plants, and they've had enough shock for one summer! Best of luck!