The Q&A Archives: Iris Have Not Bloomed

Question: My bearded iris's haven't bloomed--I planted them 2 years ago. Someone told me I should cut the leaves off and sprinkle them with blood meal. I do fertilize them in the spring and fall and they are planted close to the surface of the soil, they are not overcrowded. Any thoughts, or am I not patient enough?

Answer: You may have given them too much fertilizer - often plants that are overfertilized will put out lots of leaves and no bloom. Don't fertilize them this fall or next spring, and when you resume next year, make sure you're using a low-nitrogen fertilizer - blood meal actually supplies more nitrogen than other nutrients, so you're better off using a black rock phosphate/greensand mixture. Also, bearded iris bloom best in full sun. Hope this helps!